About the Event

The event comprises:

- Swim 750 m (in the cold water of Hartlepool Marina!)

- Cycle ~20 km (from Hartlepool Marina to Seaton Carew 3 times)

- Run 5 km (around the Marina)


I did the swim by myself with Benjamin supervising from the shore.

For the Cycle, we used our special tandem - a Hase Pino. I aspire to Benjamin helping with the pedalling, but he rarely does, unless I am trying to stay still and talk to someone!

For the run we used Benjamin's cross country wheelchair - an Advance Mobility Freedom chair.


Sunday 11 August 2013

Learning to Swim

I have never been any good at swimming, so the swim part of the triathlon is going to be quite a challenge.   I went to the baths on Friday to check I could do the distance before entering.

I thought I'd do 1000 m, as the event is 750 m, but is in cold water, which I expect to feel much harder.

Laura came along to pace me.   She was not impressed with my swimming ability - ran out of oxygen after one and a half lengths of front crawl and had to drop back to breaststroke, which I do not think is very efficient.
Still, did the 1000m in 25 mins, which gave me confidence that I will survive the event, but am going to have to try to learn how to do front crawl before the race.....

We would do much better as a team if Laura was allowed to do the swim part, but she is not old enough to compete, so it will have to be me...

No comments:

Post a Comment